Posting political statuses or commenting on other people's statuses is a great way to start candid and open discussions. Considering mine were all Christian/Catholic or conservative in nature, I usually stir quite a commotion with little effort.
My peers have generally been 50/50 on the political scale. While the vast majority of American youth don’t take politics seriously, our generation loves to focus on social issues (eg. gay marriage or abortion). These topics are extremely touchy for many and if not carefully moderated, can bring out emotions.
Generally there are 2 types of conservative debaters:
1. Fact-based and concise. Well thought-out.
2. Hate-filled and personal. Unknowledgeable.
The two typical types of liberal debaters are
1. Emotional and personal. Unknowledgeable.
2. Intelligent and well-meaning.
Here is my advice for how to debate with liberals:
1. Stay polite! Typically, if liberals become outgunned, they will either change the subject or (most commonly) get personal. A discussion on gay marriage could snap to abortion. Arguments about politics will become personal (e.g. “Obama’s taxes are too high…”, “YOU AREN’T A WOMAN…YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE PREGNANT!”) Of course this is an exaggerated example, but true, nonetheless. Avoid being personal, stay classy, and kill them with kindness…they hate that.
2. Stay fact-based when discussing politics. Actually do some research and use statistics!
3. Respond to hate and insults with emoticon happy faces! Tell the mud-thrower that you will pray for them and their angry/profane mouth.
4. Be extremely wary of “self-victimizers.” Those who especially tout "minority status" will try to tell you they are more qualified on a topic because they are a certain race or have a certain sexual orientation. You and I both know that this argument is bollocks. Stick to your facts! Stay polite.
5. Make sure you back your like-minded fellow debaters up! Twos voices are louder (and more convincing) than one!
As the election comes closer, I hope you can use these tips for your late night Facebook battles. Fight the good fight!